– Name: Ethan Augustus Slayton.
– Location: Portland, Oregon.
– Artistic style: Uh….Ethan-y…?.
– Website/s: * www.ethanslayton.com
Artist continued profile.
Let’s get a tiny bit personal:
– Favourite artist/why?: Oh man. You know? I don’t think I could ever pick just one. I love SO many different artists for different reasons.
Maybe a “Top 5” artists?
- #5; Jack Kirby. – He made comics fun and imaginative and powerful and I can’t stop looking at his work.
- #4; Terry Moore. – His ability to emote through two dimensional imagery is really nothing short of witch craft.
- #3; Mike Mignola. – Genius of a page designer and makes the most wonderful horrifying things on the page leap out at you.
- #2; Phil Hester. – His theory on music and comics and how story is like beats in a song changed my brain forever. Plus, his work scares the shit out of me when he draws his creation; “The Wretch”. I highly recommend it.
- #1; TIED:
Duncan Fegredo. – His camera work, design, action, story telling, basic drawing…guh. The man’s a master. Damn him. I will buy everything he creates.
Chris Bachalo. – Invention, humor, use of black, ability to create humor and gross in the same panel…makes me drool. All the time.
Becky Cloonan. – Raw talent. Flawless design sense. In love with skulls I think so I am devoted to her. She is ruled by comics but she also rules them. Seek her out.
And then there are amazing new artists that have hit the scene like Matteo Scalera http://matteoscalera.
– What do you think of Comics being made into movies?: They make more folks interested in comics and then those folks, more often than not, go and buy them. It makes a tiny niche market not so tiny. Hopefully we can all eventually profit from this. Including me.
– Has reading a Comic ever changed your life? Which one/why? (If yes): Devil Dinosaur #1. My Dad got it for me when I was around 7 years old. I drew in it and wanted to make sure that the artist didn’t forget to make sure to put those funny dark marks under ALL the finger joints. Silly Jack Kirby; leaving part of his job for me to complete!
– If someone created a Comic about your life what would they title it?: Stupid is as Stupid does.
– Where there any defining moments in your life that have influenced your artistic style?: Getting away from the word; “Style” and just drawing. no one draws like you do. No one.
– If you could have any power from a Comic character, what would it be/why?: I would love to be able to sword fight really well and be a great martial artist…and teleport…and super strength…crap…that’s more than one, isn’t it?
– Favourite Comic artist of all time/why?: See Above; “Favourite Artists”.
– What do you prefer to snack on when creating a masterpiece?: Baked children.
– Where do you ‘draw’ your daily inspiration from?(See what I did there hehe): Life, novels, friends, my wife, my band, my….everything…trees…I like cats. Cats are good. Is that an answer?
– Likes: Raspberry pie.
– Dislikes: “POP” music.
– Favourite joke: A Pirate walks into a tavern with a steering wheel in his pants. He bellies up to the bar and the barkeep asks; “Why d’ye have that steering wheel in yer pants?” The pirate looks at the barkeep with a gleam in his eye and replies; “EYAR!!! It DRIVES me NUTS!!!!”
– Why do they imply the ‘birds and the bee’s’ get up to something together?: Collusion. They’re all about it.
– If you were to turn gay for any Comic character who would it be and why?: Orko. The hat.
– Can you draw feet or are you your very own Rob Liefeld?: I can barely draw.
– What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY is what it’s all about?: You will then hear about a rash of bank robberies the likes of which the world has never seen before…!!!
– Any thank you’s/shout-outs?: My Folks. My wife. My cat. My dogs (who are still in Vermont). My family & my friends (which are sometimes inseparable) in Oregon and Vermont and all over. I love you guys. And a special shout out to Vanessa’ann and Aggressive Comix for putting this together and giving the little guys a leg up! Cheers!!