Holly Brooke here, interviewing cosplayer Alexandria the Red. I first saw Alex’s Poison Ivy cosplay at Wondercon last year, and instantly fell in love with the design. I ran into her again at Big Wow! Comic Fest and got a chance to do a group shoot with her, and I can tell you she is a really sweet and talented cosplayer. Here’s a chance to get to know the girl behind the costume!
1. You go by Alexandria the Red because of your trademark red locks. If you had to choose another trademark color what color would you choose?
I really identify with red. My favorite color was purple before I dyed my hair red for the first time. In fact, my first “red” was much more of a dark purple/plum color. However, I would definitely choose to have Doe Deere’s fabulous lavender locks.
2. Any hints as to what your cosplay lineup will be for the coming con season?
Yes! I’m planning on completing Caitlyn from League of Legends, Melisandre from Game of Thrones, Femme Loki, and a secret Disney group cosplay. It will be comprised of 12 amazing female cosplayers, with a very special artist designing our cosplays. All set to debut for Wondercon 2014. (Yes, I plan that far ahead)
3. Your Poison Ivy cosplay is a fan favorite, but is an unconventional design. What was your inspiration for you unique poison Ivy cosplay?
I started with the idea of Ivy being very nymph-like and natural. The skirt grew from the fact that I wanted to be a bit more covered up. I changed up the skirt fabric after a fateful trip to the fashion district in LA with Miss Wendybird (another cosplayer and friend). It was there I found the fabric I used on Ivy 2.0
4. You’ve been a part of a DC photo shoot with some well-known DC villains. If you had to get the same participants to be involved in another group photo shoot, which group cosplay would you do?
I think it would be hilarious to do a poolside Gotham baddies shoot. With all of us in swimwear! Can’t you just see penguin with a blow up penguin floating ring? Or Poison Ivy basking in the sun?
5. You’ve got a new beau, Kaotic Kosplay, can we expect to see any couple cosplays in the future?
As you can probably tell by the photos I’ve been flooding my feed with, I cosplay Mary Jane Watson. And what is MJ without her love Spiderman/Peter Parker….? Or Kirk without Spock..? Or Kick-Ass without Night Bitch…? We’ve got plans.
6. You were recently put into the new video game Comic Conquest as the Red Archer. If you could live inside of any preexisting video game, which would you want to live in?
I would love to experience my favorite game, League of Legends. I love the cinematics that Riot puts out and I have a feeling it would be as epic as Twisted Fate v. Fiddlesticks. Of course I would want to be able to play as my favorite champion, Caitlyn.
7. The cosplay overlords have made a new cosplay rule…You’re only allowed to wear one character for the rest of your life! Who are you dressing up as?
Katniss Everdeen! Because its zombie apocalypse ready.